We’re delighted to have been awarded the ‘Resource Efficiency Pledge Silver Award’ by Resource Efficient Scotland.
By signing up to the Pledge, we agreed to:
- Commit to embedding resource efficiency in our own business operations;
- Show leadership in driving sustainable growth through our supply chain; and
- Actively contribute to achieving a low carbon economy for Scotland.
Building on our Bronze Pledge Award in 2019, we achieved Silver over the last twelve months by:
1. Achieving an Environmental Accreditation or Award
- Winning the 2019 Vibes Leadership Scotland Award
2. Investing in Secure Bicycle Storage for Staff
- We established a secure bicycle rack inside our distribution centre – under security cameras – to provide secure bicycle spaces for staff.
- We provide shower facilities for cyclists.
- We were awarded Cycle Friendly Employer status.
- We were awarded a grant from the Cycling Friendly Employer Development Fund.
- We are investing in electric bicycles infrastructure.
- We are trialling electric bikes with staff.
3. Reducing Food Waste
- We were awarded the Healthy Living Award.
- Staff pre-order their breakfast and lunches.
- All food waste is recycled at a local anaerobic digestion centre – most food waste is peelings and skins.
- All our nutritious food is freshly cooked onsite by our trained chef.
- Waste cooking oil is removed and used as biofuel by a local oil recycler.
We would like to offer our personal thanks to Lachlan Kirk from Resource Efficient Scotland, and Tom Flatman from Zero Waste Scotland. They both provided us with expert advice and support resulting in a reduction in our resource usage, a cost saving, and helping to make us more environmentally responsible.
Work has now commenced on the Resource Efficiency Gold Pledge Award to further enhance our environmental performance.
Find out more about the Resource Efficiency Pledge here